Monday, September 05, 2016

Labor Day weekend

Happy Labor Day!  

I hope you are enjoying a 3-day weekend.  Since I'm a realtor and typically work on most weekends, there is no such thing as a 3-day weekend unless I request to be off.  Our friends Mike & Clark planned to spend the long holiday weekend with us so I requested to be off, but due to the death of a friend, they cancelled their visit.  But I kept my 3-day holiday weekend off work anyway.

Unfortunately weather was rather iffy/unpredictable due to tropical storm Hermine.  Our area was told to 'batten down the hatches' and prepare for heavy wind and rain.  But it turned into a big toodoo about nothing.  Sat morning it rained for about an hour and it was breezy, and that was it!  The rest of the weekend it was partly cloudy and partly sunny at times, but no more rain.

My Elton John wig, glasses, and tips
Sat night I performed as Elton John in the last Legends show of the summer season.  Typically the show's introduction includes a notice that the performers do not accept tips during the show, but will be available for photos and tips immediately after the show's conclusion.  But since it was the last show of the summer season the owner decided NOT to make that announcement and instead told us performers that we could accept tips during the show as long as we did not compromise our impersonations.  I'm not sure if the audience was feeling especially generous or if I 'pulled out all the stops' in my performance, but I was shocked at the tips.  I received at $20 bill from someone!!  After the show I had lots of fun greeting the patrons, posing for photos, and talking to the folks about where they live.  There was a bachelorette party there, which can be good or bad.  When its bad the women are drunk and sloppy and loud.  But on Sat it was good and the young women were ladies.

On Sun Spouse & I had breakfast with Steven & Thad, then stopped at the grocery store on the way
Thad's custom cake
home to pick up a few things.  Later that evening Steven & Thad and Joe P came over to celebrate Thad's birthday.  The weather was pleasant so we had dinner on the screened porch.  Thad came up with this special menu of things he'd been craving, so Spouse made exactly what he wanted.  Homemade meatballs in sauce, homemade potato salad, an orange-flavored cake with the center hollowed out and filled with chocolate mousse and covered in butter cream icing, and rosemary mint lemonade.  We also had rolls so Spouse and Steven made meatball sandwiches with them.  Everything was very tasty, we had candles and lanterns lit and music playing.  We had a nice time.


Today was very low-key.  I did a little bit of laundry (even though you're supposed to rest from your labors on Labor Day), took the dogs for a walk, watched some TV, and poked around on Facebook.  While it wasn't the Labor Day weekend I was expecting, it was a pleasant one none-the-less.


What did YOU do this weekend?

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

since it was MY birthday weekend too, I got to be a lazy slob.

happy birthday thad!