Friday, January 06, 2017

Back on the wagon

I've written before about the great results I've experienced from following the principles of Fit for Life.  When followed I feel more energetic and I lose weight.  Back in the 90s I lost 40 lbs on it.  This time after following the plan for about 18 months I had lost 35 lbs.

But avoiding eating proteins and carbohydrates in the same meal can get tiresome after a long time.  Eating out is especially hard since most entrees include proteins and carbohydrates, like spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and rice, steak and baked potato, burger and french fries, and practically all sandwiches and most pizzas.  

So last spring, after 18 months on the plan, I gradually went back to 'traditional' eating habits.  It was fun to eat what I wanted all summer long without needing to make substitutions.  Then the holidays came and I ate lots of turkey with dressing at Thanksgiving, a myriad of sweets and goodies at Christmas, and drank champagne on New Years Eve.  Again, I enjoyed it all very much, but I knew I couldn't continue doing that.

After 6 or 7 months of eating what I wanted, my clothes reminded I couldn't continue doing that. So on Mon, Jan 2, I climbed back on the wagon and returned to Fit for Life.

Fruit and nothing but fruit until noon.  Any kind of fruit, as much as I want.

Veggies with protein OR veggies with carbs for lunch and for dinner.  But never protein and carbs in the same meal.  And the veggies should outweigh the protein or carbs in every meal.

Minimal processed foods and dairy.  

While this isn't the easiest plan to follow, to me its easier than counting calories, points, or eating 'fake' food from a diet company.  And from experience I know this plan works for me, so I'm back on the wagon.

No comments: