Friday, May 04, 2018

Project

One of my clients recently bought a furnished townhome.  During the pre-settlement walk-thru I saw a vintage metal patio chair stashed in the attic storage area.  I pointed it out to my client who said that it likely wasn't out on the porch because it didn't match the other furniture.  After pulling it out into the daylight we realized it was rusty and needed some attention.  
She mumbled something like "Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'll keep this or not".  Loving mid-century modern the way I do, I thought the chair was adorable so I said "Well, if you decide you don't want it, please don't throw it away.  I'll take it."

A few days after settlement she texted me that I could have the chair, so I asked her to just place it on the back patio and that I'd stop by within the next day or two to pick it up.  That way she wouldn't need to be home.

Yesterday I decided to start working on the chair.  First I took a sanding pad and sanded the arms and legs which had been sloppily painted white at some point, and were quite rusty.  It actually took less time than I thought it would.

Next I took plastic bags and painters tape and taped off everywhere I didn't want paint.  
I really like the color and patina of the turquoise and cream paint on the seat and back, and despite there being some rust on them, I decided to leave them as is.

Next I wiped down the sanded areas with a rag to remove the dust, and then spray painted the arms and legs with a grey that resembles aluminum. 
I don't think the arms/legs would have originally been painted at all, so rather than repainting them white or black, I chose the grey that resembles aluminum in hopes of making it look more original.

It turned out pretty well.  
Not bad for a $5 can of spray paint and an hour of time!


2 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

OMB, my grandparents and my in-laws each had a set of chairs like this! red and white on both sets. brings back many happy memories seeing this chair.

Bob said...

What a great find! It's looks so cool.